Once contracting the herpes simplex virus, reactivation of the virus usually occurs when your immune system is compromised.
Most common conventional treatments for cold sores work to reduce the duration of the illness, but do not focus on boosting the immune system.
Besides eating nutritious immune-boosting foods and the supplements, follow these steps when you feel a cold sore coming on:
- Apply ice to the cold sore to aid in relieving pain and reducing inflammation.
- Take a L-lysine tincture. L-lysine is an amino acid that prevents the herpes virus from growing.
Take 1,000 milligrams, three times daily during the duration of your cold sore. Continuing to take 1,000 milligrams once daily will reduce the reoccurrence of cold sores.
- Apply Aloe Vera gel topically to the cold sore to speed the healing process.
- Supplement with Oregano Oil (8-10 drops of tincture or 1 capsule, two to three times daily) during the duration of your cold sore, as it is a powerful anti-viral and can strengthen your immune system.
- Increase Vitamin C dosage to boost immune function.
- Drink tea to boost your immune system and aid in stress reduction.
Elderberry Tea has antiviral properties, which can help to speed the healing of a cold sore.
Lemon Balm Tea works to boost the immune system and can be used for stress reduction, as it works to reduce cortisol levels in the body. Cold sores are usually triggered by stress, so I highly recommend stress management.
Foods to avoid during an outbreak
- Refined sugar and processed foods
- Acidic foods
If you are someone who experiences cold sores frequently, I highly recommend strengthening your immune system and checking out “The Hormone Reboot – Digestive Healing” in the guide section of my website (as over 70% of your immune system lies in your gut).