You want to come off hormonal birth control, but where do you start?
Whatever your reason for wanting to come off hormonal birth control is, I can assume that you will want to re-establish balance as soon as possible.
It’s important to know that if you had any hormonal imbalances before starting the hormonal contraceptives (irregular periods, acne, cramps etc) – you are likely to have them return, as the root cause was never addressed.
The whole time you have been on hormonal birth control – ovulation has been suppressed.
The goal is to get your body ovulating again, as ovulation is required for hormonal balance (this is how you naturally produce your estrogen and progesterone).
How can you become more balanced?
By supporting your body’s natural detoxification systems with supportive nutrition, supplements, exercise and lifestyle choices.
A balanced diet of high quality protein, healthy carbohydrates and healthy fats.
Fibre is super important when it comes to excreting out excess estrogen, as it binds to estrogen in the digestive tract.
Avoid alcohol, sugar and trans-fats (this will aid in hormonal acne, as eliminating sugar and supporting your liver are crucial for skin health)
- Zinc – Zinc is essential for a healthy estrogen metabolism (this will help re-establish a healthy cycle).
- Magnesium – Magnesium is an essential building block for for the production of many hormones, one being ovarian hormones (this will help re-establish a healthy cycle).
- Probiotics – Probiotics are a very important supplement (whether you are coming off birth control, or still on birth control) as hormonal birth control can create an imbalance of bacteria within your gut as it affects the state of your microbiome.
- B Vitamins – Not only are B Vitamins are essential for hormonal balance – they are required by the liver to process hormones. Being on hormonal birth control adds excess (synthetic) hormones into your body – which means B Vitamins are easily depleted while on the pill (this supplement should be taken whether you are coming off birth control, or still on birth control)
- DIM – DIM works to clear xenoestrogens from the body and works to promote to healthy estrogen conversion in the body.
- Make sure you are consuming enough water to ensure clearance of synthetic hormones
- Get adequate sleep (this is when your body does most of it’s detoxifying)
- Do your best to avoid xenoestrogens (conventional dairy/meat/personal care products, plastics etc)
- Partake in high intensity exercise a couple times per week to enhance circulation
If you have followed the above steps, and your cycle has not returned to normal after 6 months – I would highly recommend supplementing with herbs to increase progesterone production.
If you are currently on the pill and are not planning on getting off hormonal birth control – or you are coming off birth control and you would like a more detailed guide, I would recommend looking into “The Hormone Reboot – Digestive Healing” in the guide section of my website as it focuses on supporting your natural detoxification processes and overcoming Leaky Gut (a leaky gut can dramatically affect your body’s ability to detox excess estrogen).