The 80/20 rule and how it can do wonders for your overall health!

I think it’s important to know that leading a healthier lifestyle doesn’t mean constantly restricting yourself and staying in prolonged caloric deficits.

Leading a healthier lifestyle is about consistently making smarter choices and upgrading your nutrition when possible!

I take a very practical approach to health and I’m a huge advocate of the 80/20 rule. 

The 80/20 rule is all about consistency – meaning 80 percent of the time you focus on eating whole nutrient dense foods, and the other 20 percent of the time you have the freedom to eat as you please.

I personally believe that the 80/20 rule easily allows a healthy relationship with food by enabling mental/emotional freedom. 

It’s important to remember that eating a salad is not going to make you lose a bunch of weight, if you’re consistently eating poorly.

This also means that indulging in an unhealthy meal isn’t going to make you gain a bunch of weight, if you’re consistently eating well.

Consistent actions will create consistent results.

If you are restricting your calories, I actually suggest planning days to increase your calories with the purpose of increasing your metabolism and altering your hormones to ensure your body is in an optimal fat-burning state.

By planning days like this, not only will you reduce the risk of causing negative metabolic adaptations, but you will also reduce cravings and reduce the risk of binge eating. 

Of course, how much you will need to increase your calories will depend on variables like dieting length/intensity, training intensity, gender, body fat levels!

Once you become more in tune with your body – you will notice changes in energy levels, mood, muscle fullness etc.

I think it’s important to keep good health, but I also think it’s important you take the time to enjoy it too!

Leave a Reply