Ever find your scalp and hair to be super dry?
It could be due to nutrient deficiencies, insufficient circulation, chronic stress, hormone imbalances or using heat styling tools in excess.
It might also be your conventional hair products that are stripping away the natural oils.
A dry scalp can very easily be associated with the chemicals used in conventional hair products (sulfates and parabens being the most common), but these chemicals are actually known to do far worse than just cause you to have a dry scalp.
These chemicals are known to disrupt the endocrine system and cause hormone imbalances within the body.
What does this mean for you?
If you are suffering from insomnia, a weakened immune system, depression and/or infertility – this can actually be a result of chronic use of chemical-laden personal care products.
My solution: Get rid of your toxic products and start replacing them with more natural ones!
Below are my top five favourite all-natural products for your hair:
1) Avocado Hair Mask! Super simple – just mash one whole avocado into a bowl and apply into your damp hair from scalp to tip and leave for 20 minutes. Rinse and follow by natural shampoo/conditioner. This mask is perfect for adding moisture to your dry hair.
2) Raw Honey Hair Mask! Just massage 3-4 heaping tablespoons of raw honey into your damp hair from scalp to tip and leave for 20 minutes. Rinse and follow by natural shampoo/conditioner. This mask is perfect for adding shine and moisture to your dry hair.
3) Baking Soda Shampoo! This natural shampoo is so easy to make. Simply mix 1 tablespoon of Baking Soda into 1 cup of warm water into a glass jug, and massage into entire head for about 1 minute and rinse!
4) Raw Apple Cider Vinegar Rinse! An apple cider vinegar rinse works to increase shine and cleanse your hair and scalp. Mix 1/3 cup of raw apple-cider vinegar with 1 cup of warm water into a jug. I recommend using the Baking Soda Shampoo first and rinsing with the Raw Apple Cider Vinegar Shampoo.
5) Oil Conditioners! There are so many different kinds of oils you can play around with (argan oil, jojoba oil, extra virgin olive oil, coconut oil, walnut oil and/or almond oil). I personally use coconut oil! Depending on how much hair you have – massage about ½ cup of the warm oil into your hair and leave it on for 2-3 hours (wrap hair in towel). Rinse with natural shampoo after 2-3 hours, and voila – silky hair!
Even if you’re not convinced to give up your favourite hair products (I still get my hair coloured and use toning products every couple of months), I suggest just becoming more aware and limiting the amount of harsh chemicals you are exposed to (I use natural hair products day to day, and try to not think about the chemicals when I get my hair freshened up haha).
The first step to achieving healthier hair is determining what could be damaging it in the first place – Just be aware!