I know the holidays can bring some stress – and I want you to know that it is totally possible to have a happy holiday season and stay healthy at the same time.
Take the time to enjoy the holiday (and all the traditional treats that come with it!), but also take the time to plan ahead and make smart choices!
Top 5 tips of how to enjoy the holidays without any guilt:
- Never show up to the party hungry! By showing up hungry, you are setting yourself up to you make poor choices. Just because you are having a holiday feast, I still recommend sticking to your regular diet through out the day if you can!
- Stay hydrated! Not only is it important to stay hydrated in order to encourage your body’s natural detoxification processes, but it will help you be able to better determine the difference between false hunger and actual hunger.
- Practice mindfulness and indulge when you think it’s worth it! Eat slowly and enjoy the food! Rather than loading your plate with empty calories because it’s tradition, choose selectively. If you’re going to indulge, make it worth it! Instead of rushing for seconds, wait about 20 minutes to allow some time for your brain to register that you may be full!
- Make sure you bring the healthy dish! Even if you’re not going to a potluck – people will think you are just being super thoughtful during the holiday season haha! I always do this, to ensure there will be at least something at the party I will enjoy and I won’t have to downgrade my nutrition!
- Find some time for movement! You don’t necessarily have to workout to enjoy more food, but the value of movement extends far beyond the physical and may help you feel like stress and anxiety by boosting your mood!
Wishing everyone a Happy Thanksgiving! There is always something to be thankful for!